Tuesday 5 October 2010

#2 First contact

I think the best way for me to gain experience in the conservation world is to start small and local. So that's what I've done. There are lots of great non-profit organisations in the UK, and there are quite a few around my neck of woods.

A couple of days ago I sent an email to two organisations: The Surrey Wildlife Trust, a well known (probably the largest) organisation in my county that are "concerned solely with the conservation of all forms of wildlife in Surrey"; and The Mammal Society, an organisation that specializes in identifying mammal species under threat and acting before they become endangered. I would love to show support in the form of photography and/or design for these two. I will wait another couple of weeks, and if I haven't heard back from them I will contact again by phone. I think there could be a chance that I didn't make it clear that I was offering time "pro-bono". I'll make sure to rectify that.

I am also holding back from contacting The Woodland Trust. This is a larger, country-wide organisation that specializes in saving and looking after trees. Perfect, excuse the pun but trees are the root of conservation in my view - without trees where would we be? They have an application form on their website which I have filled out and printed, and they are asking for a selection of work to be sent along too. They seem to be in shortage of people to take photographs of conservation teams (no shortage of keen nature photographers of course). This is good news for both parties however, because I have plenty of experience in documentary photography. I think I really could help here, they also have a shortage of professional photographers.

The reason I'm waiting before I contact the Woodland Trust is that I am currently designing a Rewkachu Green website, and I feel that I stand a much better chance of getting on their VPS (Volunteer Photography Scheme) with it completed and ready to show.

The Rewkachu Green website should be up and running with a month or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment